contact

about me

Monday, December 22, 2014

Supreme Court - no to Councils forcing owners to earthquake strengthen above minimum standards

The ruling will bring some clarity to councils, some whom thought they were able to increase strengthening standards, others including Wellington City Council who did not.

The question is now whether Councils in consultation with their communities should be able to as I discuss in The DomPost today.

My position is clear: in certain circumstances, yes where the route is strategic or the buildings of special heritage importance.  I am equally clear that the public must pay where the public benefits.

I hope that the Government will give that power to councils, properly used, we should see appropriate buildings strengthened, sooner. 


No comments:

Post a Comment